Ostrom Faculty and Graduate Student
Research Award Program
Application Deadline: February 22
The Ostrom Workshop invites applications to the Ostrom Research Award program. Each year, the Ostrom Workshop provides Research Awards to IU Workshop Affiliated Faculty and Graduate Students with diverse backgrounds and research interests. The purpose of these awards is threefold: for faculty, awards provide seed funding to (1) catalyze external funding and (2) promote high-profile publications in the area of governance. For graduate students, awards aim at significantly improving their dissertations or theses. A requirement for graduate student recipients is to give a presentation at the Ostrom Workshop Research Series.
NOTE: Postdocs should apply as graduate students.
Applications are restricted to IU-based Workshop Affiliated Faculty (WAF), graduate students affiliated with the Workshop (current or past recipients of Ostrom Fellowships or Research Awards), or students working closely with active WAFs.
Research Award Budget Limits:
Faculty Research Awards: $10,000
Graduate Student Research Awards: $5,000
Funding decisions will be made by the Ostrom Workshop’s Research Award Committee, an interdisciplinary committee of affiliated faculty members selected each year.
Criteria for Research Award selection include but are not limited to:
- Active participation in the intellectual community of the Workshop (e.g., regular attendance at Colloquium and Research Series for at least one year)
- Alignment of proposed research with Workshop programs
- Diversity in terms of discipline, methodology, and substantive area
- Potential for external funding, high-profile publications and, for students, potential for significantly enhancing dissertations and theses
- Involvement of Workshop Affiliated Faculty, as co-investigators or advisors/mentors
- Productive use of previous Workshop funding, if applicable