Application Deadline: January 31
The Ostrom Workshop invites applications to the Ostrom Research Awards. Each year, the Ostrom Workshop provides Research Awards to IU Workshop Affiliated Faculty, Program Affiliates, and Graduate Students with diverse backgrounds and research interests. The purpose of these awards is threefold: for faculty and program affiliates, awards provide seed funding to (1) catalyze external funding and (2) promote high-profile publications in the area of governance. For graduate students, awards aim at significantly improving their dissertations or theses.
All ABD research awardees are required to present at the Research Series unless have presented in previous years.
NOTE: Postdocs should apply as graduate students.
Applications are restricted to IU-based Workshop Affiliated Faculty (WAF), Program Affiliates (PAs), graduate students affiliated with the Workshop (current or past recipients of Ostrom Fellowships or Research Awards), or students working closely with an active WAF or PA.
Research Award Budget Limits:
Faculty Research Awards: $10,000
Graduate Student Research Awards: $5,000
Funding decisions will be made by the Ostrom Workshop’s Research Award Committee, an interdisciplinary committee of affiliated faculty members selected each year.
Criteria for Research Award selection include but are not limited to:
- Active participation in the intellectual community of the Workshop (e.g., regular attendance at Colloquium and Research Series for at least one year)
- Alignment of proposed research with Workshop programs
- Diversity in terms of discipline, methodology, and substantive area
- Potential for external funding, high-profile publications and, for students, potential for significantly enhancing dissertations and theses
- Involvement of Workshop Affiliated Faculty, as co-investigators or advisors/mentors
- Productive use of previous Workshop funding, if applicable